img

Mariiska Square

Images

ID:
155
Place
Lviv
Date:
1941-1944
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Taras Pinyazhko
Copyright
Taras Pinyazhko
Publisher
Unknown
Description

The central spot in the photograph is taken by the well with the Virgin Marystatue, which stood in this location on the south-eastern side of Mariacka Square, beginning 1904. The photograph itself originates from the times of the German occupation of Lviv. In the foreground a figure of a German military man can be seen. Further in is a fragment of the monument to Adam Mickiewicz, the chief accent of the square. The background is constituted by buildings Nos. 10 and 11, as well as building No. 15 on the corner of Halytska Square and building No. 1 on the corner of Akademichna St. The Building No. 10 (the Lewicki House, a building with four facades), no longer exists today. It was built around 1840, and traditionally housed porcelain and faience shop owned by the Kazimierz Lewicki company, as well as the Bajka (Fairy-tale) cinema (since 1909), situated in the buildings right wing; postwar residents of Lviv remember the cinema as the Ivan Franko Cinema. An electric tram can be seen turning before the building, which is on its way from the Stryiskyi Park to the central station by the Viennese Coffeehouse. Building No. 15 in Halytska Square, once premises to the Mortgage Bank, housed the Europa cinema from 1937 (after the Second World War the cinema was renamed Ukraina, and in the 1990s it was known as the Galician Centre for Film Arts; now it no longer exists, along with most old cinemas in Lviv), while during the Second World War the infamous Kripo, or Criminal Police department, was located here.

Tags:
Mariacka Square, fountain with Virgin MaryStatue, buildings, tram, passers-by, military man
Category:
Squares