img

St. Nicholas Church

Images

ID:
1459
Place
Buchach
Date:
1930-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
12x17 cm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Yuriy Zaverbnyj
Copyright
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
St. Nicholas Church, the first stone church in Buchach, was built over a stream; today only a riverbed remains. The church was consecrated in 1610. Its founders are spouses Stefan and Maria Potocki, a fact that is witnessed by their marriage coat of arms over the church doors (the coat of arms of the Potocki-Mohyla, since Maria was a sister of Petro Mohyla). A Baroque iconostasis made in the middle of the eighteenth century with the financial support of Mykola Potocki has been preserved up to the present day; the artistic qualities of the iconostasis allow for its inclusion in the number of masterpieces of Galician art. The icon of Our Lady, brought by Maria Potocka to Buchach, has also been preserved in St. Nicholas Church.
Nazar Kis

Tags:
Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon