img

Church of the Protection of Our Lady

Images

ID:
1546
Place
Buchach
Date:
1930-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
12x17 cm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Yuriy Zaverbnyj
Copyright
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description

View of the Church of the Protection of Our Lady from the bank of the Strypa River. The Church of the Protection of Our Lady was built in 1764; a number of historians believe that the church was constructed according to the project by German architect Schilzer. He was the author of Christ Uplifting Church for the Basilian Monastery and the new palace of M. Potocki in the southwestern part of the city. Despite that, the majority of art scholars connect its construction with the well-known architect Bernard Meretyn. The Church of the Protection of Our Lady was the last creation of B. Meretyn and the sculptor J. G. Pinzel in Buchach. In 1865 the church burned down but was renovated and operated until 1956. In 1990 the Church of the Protection of Our Lady was passed on to the Greek Catholic community. Residential buildings are in the background.
Nazar Kis 

Tags:
Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon