img

Images

ID:
1914
Place
Lviv
Date:
1947-1954
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
10х14 сm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Copyright
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
«The image shows the postwar market in Zernova St. - a flea market, occupying the space from the Opera Theater to the bridge in Peltewna St., today's Chornovola Blvd. The market was open practically around the clock; in this space, in a large concentration of sellers, buyers, and pickpockets, one could buy deficit goods. One hot item was the "bimber" - moonshine produced from God knows what. Lviv residents - both the born-and-bred ones, and the "new arrivals" did whatever they could to survive in postwar Lviv. For an unknown reason, a zeppelin hangs above the market crowd. This spontaneous market existed until around 1960, the start of construction of the Lviv Hotel. Subsequently, it was moved to the Zhovkivska junction in Bohdana Khmelnytskoho St., and then to the town of Riasne. In our days, these spontaneous markets have become a necessary attribute of practically every city district. Only recently, have we managed to 'civilize' them somewhat, and bring the space they occupy to some order." (from the recollections of Volodymyr Rumiantsev)
Tags:
Dirigible, Zernova Square, Opear House, market, people
Category:
Markets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon