This photo shows the the junction of the Ringplatz (Piata Unirii, Red Square, Central Square), Tempelgasse (Strada Duca, University Street) and Postgasse (Str. Bucurestilor, vul. Chuljakowa) On the corner to the left the Hotel zum Schwarzen Adler (Under the Black Eagle), the best hotel in town. It already existed in 1875, when the opening festivities of the new university were held in its halls. During the Soviet times the hotel was called Verchovyna. It was closed down in 1999 and is used by a university today.
The building being demolished on the corner of Tempelgasse and Postgasse was the Hotel Zum Godenen Löwen (Golden Lion). It was replaced by the impressive Haus zum Goldenen Löwen (House Golden Lion), which was also known as the DELKA house because of the shoe shop on its ground floor. In the background the Hotel Gottlieb can be seen. Helmut Kusdat