img

Building of the fire guard institute

Images

ID:
391
Place
Lviv
Date:
1911-1914
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Copyright
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Publisher
The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Description

The Invalids House was founded with the purpose of providing housing and necessary care for former officers and soldiers no longer capable of active military service. The Invalids House building complex was constructed in 1855-1863, following a project by the famous Vienna-based Danish architect Theophylus Hansen. The Pilichów Valley in Lviv's Klepariv (Kleparów) district (now 35 Kleparivska St.) was selected as the site for the Invalids House. The House had 50 rooms with enough places for 328 soldiers, as well as separate apartments for officers. Famous Polish sculptors Cyprian Godębski and Abel Maria Perrier were commissioned to decorate the building. In the last quarter of the nineteenth century the Invalids House also held a department of the Garrison Hospital and a small artificial limbs factory.

Tags:
The Invalids House
Category:
Hospitals & Sanatoria
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon