img

Monument to the War Glory of the Soviet Army. Lenina Avenue

Images

ID:
4685
Place
Lviv
Date:
1950-1970
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
R. Yakymenko
Collection
Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Copyright
Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Publisher
Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Description
In May, 1970 a Monument to the War Glory of the Soviet Army (in World War II) was unveiled in the upper part of the Bohdan Khmelnytskyi Central Park of Culture, at the intersection of Stryiska and Hvardiyska streets. The monumental complex was constructed by a group of sculptors, including sculptors Dmytro Krvavych, Emanuyil Mysko, and Yaroslav Motyka, painter Oleksandr Pyrozhkov, and architects Myron Vendzylovych and Apolon Ohranovych.After the return of the Soviet authority, the street was again renamed Pershoho travnia, later to be renamed Lenina (“Lenin”) Boulevard. In 1991 the Lviv City Council of National Deputies renamed the street Svobody (“Liberty”) Boulevard.
Tags:
Street, building, monument
Category:
Promenades, Boulevards
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon