img

Monument to Adam Mickiewicz

Images

ID:
4695
Place
Lviv
Date:
1950-1970
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
O. Yanovskyy
Collection
Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Copyright
Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Publisher
Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Description
The monument construction began late in 1903 under the direction of architects Alfred Zachariewicz and Józef Sosnowski. On October 29, 1904 the grand opening of the monument took place
Building No. 8 behind the monument at one time was the highest building in Lviv – Lviv’s version of a skyscraper. It was built in 1914-1921 for businessman Jonah Sprecher, but its construction was associated with a scandal since all the architects of Lviv publicly objected to the project. During the interwar period many establishments were located here. During the Soviet era the largest bookstore in the city – "House of Books" – was located on the first floor of the building, where it still is located today.
Tags:
Monument, Adam Mickiewicz
Category:
Monuments
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon