img

Fundukleivska (now Bohdana Khmelnytskoho) street

Images

ID:
5133
Place
Kyiv
Date:
1912-1917
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archive of Ukraine
Copyright
Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description

Fundukleivska (now Bohdana Khmelnytskoho) street in the early twentieth century. The photo depicts a certain stage of the urban development of Kyiv, in particular, the advent of the four-storied dense housing consisting chiefly of rented apartment buildings. One can also notice new approaches to the improvement of public welfare: the carriageway is paved with cobblestones, the sidewalks are separated from it by kerbstones. The street is electrified (there are refined electric posts there), an electric tram line is built. There are advertising signboards of various establishments (services) on the houses, in particular, a photo studio sign; the fact indicates an active urban life and, specifically, the role this street played in the city structure. A refined advertising pillar can be seen below on the right. Above on the left, there is a massive cupola of the Pedagogical Museum (later the Central Rada (Council) building; now the Teacher’s Building).

Olga Martyniuk

Tags:
street, tram
Category:
Public space
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon