The Hoteld'Europe in 4, St. Mary Square (now Mickiewicz Square) – is one of the oldest hotels in Lviv, active since 1804. During the reorganization and renewal of the empty area that arose as a result of the disassemblage of the city walls in 1826, a two-story building of the Alsner Hotel was constructed. In 1870 it was rebuilt in neo-Renaissance style. At this time the building was occupied by F. G. Richter's bookstore and printing house, which among other things printed the popular “Kurier Lwowski” (Lwow Curier) and “Strikha” (Roof) newspapers, as well as the “People's Library”. In 1883 Hermann Altenberg obtained ownership of the bookstore. In 1877-1887 the building also housed Edward Trzemewski's photostudio (the large window in the building's attic on the photograph indicates where the studio had been), which was later owned by Karol Roszkewicz and Ludwik Wieleżyński. Until 1895 the land and the building belonged to the Alsner family, after which it was bought by restaurant owner Albert Szkowron. A restaurant hall was constructed in the backyard at the same time, following a project by Z. Sułkowski. In 1920 the premises together with the hotel were bought by the famous Lviv tradesman Antoni Uwiera. In 1934-1936, by order of the new owner the arhitect F. Kassler constructed a new building for the hotel. This new building included 65 rooms priced at 4 to 9 złotys per person per day. March 1939 saw the opening of a new coffeehouse, Sztuka (Art) in the building with interiors by Z. Fedorskyi. The hotel building of the 1930s was demolished in 2004, and in two years a new building was constructed in the same place from late nineteenth-century plans, which now houses a financial institution.