The Bernardine Square is one of the oldest squares in Lviv, formed as a result of the partial demolition and reconstruction of the city walls by the Bernardine Cathedral in 1650. Until the mid-nineteenth century the square was home to one of the grain markets. The last quarter of the nineteenth century saw a reordering of the square with a small park being built with a well in the center. The photograph's left shows the building of the General Military Command (now Military Command Headquarters), which has been situated in this place since 1841. In the centre is the monumental building of the Cracow Hotel, constructed in 1913 on the site of the previous Podillia Hotel. The authors of the project of what was then the most comfortable hotel in the city were the architects Michał Łóżecki and Edmund Żychowicz. In front of the hotel is the recently built park. To the right are the buildings of the Bernardine Square.
Bernardine Square, park, Pekarska Street, Cracow Hotel