The Dnieper Hydroelectric Station (known as DniproHES in its Ukrainian abbreviation) was a hydroelectric plant on the river Dnieper, built in 1927-1931. The plant was one of the most lasting symbols of Soviet-era industrialization. Construction of an electric station on the Dnieper in 1927-1931 was part of the GOELRO plan, approved in December 1920 by the VIII All-Russian Congress of Soviets. Construction of the DniproHES was headed by economist Aleksandr Vinter, hydrostructures builder Ivan Alexandrov, and a Technical Board of 15 leading electrical and hydroengineers. Hugh Cooper of the American company Cooper Engineering, which specialized in building hydrotechnical sturctures, as well as the German company Siemens. Construction of the dam elevated water levels in the Dnieper by 50 meters, which increased its significance in shipping.