The oldest construction of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene was built in 1630 and now functions as the cathedral's altar section. In 1753-1758 the architect Martin Urbanic added towers, nave and choir to the original construction. The façade displays sculpted figures of St. Dominic and St. Jacek (by Sebastian Fesinger) between the fronton and the towers. The baroque helmets of the towers were constructed in 1889 based on a project by architect Yulian Zacharevych. In the background the building of the Dominican Nunnery can be seen, which since 1841 housed a women's prison. In 1929 the building was rebuilt and now functions as an academic building of the Lviv National Polytechnical University. In the centre of the photograph, behind the tram, the Sixsts Column can be seen, which was erected here even before the cathedral was built (around 1580). To the right is a fragment of the building at the corner of former Chrzanowska St. (now Verbytskyi St.).
Church, monastery, Sapiega St., tram, column, power transformer booth, fragment of building