img

Near Adam Mickiewicz Monument

Images

ID:
663
Place
Lviv
Date:
1949
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
Unknown
Creator
Unknown
Collection
H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Copyright
Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Publisher
Unknown
Description

June 1949, the monument to Adam Mickiewicz, one of the favorite objects of photographers of Lviv – both professional and amateur – ever since the day of its grand opening on October 30, 1904. This is the view of the monument from the western side of the square. Mariacka Square, in the center of which the monument was erected, was built and officially opened in 1843 as Ferdinand Square; beginning in 1862 it was called Mariacka Square; during the German occupation it was called Marienplatz; in December, 1944 it was named after the prominent Polish poet. Around the monument are stairs and a balustrade that were constructed around 1907 in accordance with the project of architect Theodore Talowski; flower beds were designed by the local parks inspector Arnold Rering. Behind the monument one can see building No. 8 on Mickiewicz Square. Over the central entrance of the building’s first floor there is a sign that says "Lviv Railway Ticket Office" (until the middle of the 1950’s it housed the railway advance ticket sale office which was later transferred to St. Anne’s Cathedral on the intersection of Horodotska and Shevchenko Streets).

Tags:
Monument, Miczkiewicz Square, people, military people, sign on a building, electric lanterns
Category:
Monuments