The photograph is a snapshot of a boy, captured in front of the Fountain in Mickiewicz Sq. as seen from the side of Copernicus St. The square was known under its present name since 1944. The square itself existed in this place since 1843, initially as Ferdinandplatz (after the then-viceroy of Galicia Archduke Ferdinand d’Este); in 1862-1944 the Square was known under the name of Mariacka Sq. (due to the figure of the Virgin Mary erected in its centre). This Polish name was changed, or rather translated to the German Marienplatz during the German occupation of 1941-1944. Since 2007 the part of the Square that once held the fountain, and now again holds the statue of Our Lady (being a copy of the original statue), is known as Mariiska Sq., which is the Ukrainian rendition of the old Polish name. A fragment of building No. 6-8 in Lenin Boulevard (now Svobody Boulevard), constructed by architect Yaroslav Nazarkevych in 1964, can be seen in the background. Trolley-buses (one of which can be seen between the fountain and the building) ran through the city centre between 1952 and approximately 1976.
Fountain, urban greenery, boy, buildings No. 6-8 in Lenin Blvd., trolley-bus