img

View of the monastery from Castle mountain

Images

ID:
1516
Place
Buchach
Date:
1930-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
17х11 cm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Yuriy Zaverbnyj
Copyright
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
View of Fedir Mountain and the Basilian Monastery from Castle Mountain. The monastery of the Basilian friars is located on the spot where once the Cathedral of the True Cross was standing. Basilian monks came to Buchach in 1712 on the invitation of the owner of Buchach, Stefan Potocki, who sought to have educated Greek Catholic clergy on his property. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. On the left side of the foreground is a fragment of the castle walls. The castle of Buchach was constructed in 1580. In the middle of the seventeenth century its owner, Mikolaj Potocki, built a new castle for himself and the old castle was abandoned. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the owners of the castle allowed citizens to disassemble the castle walls for a fee to further use them as building materials; this caused irreparable damage. In the foreground one can see a woman and a man who walk on the road that leads from the city center past the Church of Assumption of Our Lady, goes up to Castle Mountain to the former gate and comes to a suburb that is located right behind the castle ruins.
Nazar Kis
Tags:
Сastle, Сhurch of the Basilian Monastery
Category:
Castle
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon