- Size of the resource:
- 90х140 mm
- Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
- Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
The Basilian Monastery in Buchach is located on the slopes of Fedir Mountain. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. A bell tower built in 1849-1854 is located to the left of the monastery premises. City residential quarters are in the foreground. The background is formed by the images of the slopes of Fedir Mountain.
- Complex of Basilian Monastery: the Church of the True Cross, monastery premises, gymnasium, bell tower