img

Ukrainian National House

Images

ID:
1555
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1899
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
140x90 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Unknown
Description
Chernivtsi was the ethnically most ‘mixed’ of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. “National” or “People’s Houses” were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The postcard shows a drawing of the Ukrainian National House in Chernivtsi, opposite of the Armenian Church. It was built between 1887 and 1899 by the Ukrainian association “Narodnyj Dim” (People’s house) and became the center of Ukrainian life in the Bukowina. Consequently, it played and important role in the renaissance of Ukrainian language and self identity before the first World War. The card was issued on the occasion of the opening of the house in 1899. The house is still used by various Ukrainian cultural organizations.  
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Ukrainian house
Category:
Cultural Buildings
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon