img

Theatre Building

Images

ID:
1586
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1920-1930
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Agentia Romana Hachette, Bucuresti
Description
Theatre preformances took place in restaurants and hotels until a first theatre was built in Chernivtsi in 1877 in the lower parts of town. In 1905 a new theatre was opened in the city center on Elisabethplatz (also known as Fischplatz), designed by the Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. It was a house for stage plays and operas for 800 visitors, famous actors and singers from all over Europe performed here. Until 1922 the performances took place mainly in German, then the theatre was violently taken over by a Romanian administration. In 1907 a statue of the poet Friedrich Schiller was erected right in front of the theatre, the little place around it was named Schiller Platz. In the 1922 the monument was transfered to the courtyard of the Deutsches Haus (German People’s House) and later disappeared. The postcard shows the place empty, nowadays it is occupied by a statue of the Ukrainian poet Olga Kobyljanska. In the time between the wars the square was called Piata Vasile Alexandri.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Piata Vasile Alexandri Square, Theatre
Category:
Theatres
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon