img

Monument for Konstantin Tomaszczuk

Images

ID:
1596
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1905-1910
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
140x90 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
G. Hutter, Czernowitz
Description
The postcard shows the monument for the Reichratsabgeordneten (Deputy to the Austrian parliament in Vienna) Konstantin Tomaszczuk (1840–1889). He was the driving force behind the idea to establish a university in Czernowitz. In 1875 the Franz-Josephs-Universität was opened and Tomaszczuk became its first rector. In 1876 he was made honorary citizen of Chernivtsi. He died and was buried in Vienna. The monument was set up in the Volksgarten in October 1897 and removed after the Second World War. It was made by the Viennese sculptor Anton Brenak and the architect Julius Bochner.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, monument, Volksgarten, park
Category:
Monuments