img

Gymnasium № 5

Images

ID:
1602
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1908
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The first Staatsgymnasium was opened in Chernivtsi in 1808. In 1896 a second Staatsgymnasium was opened in Pater Eberhard Gasse behind the Jesuit Church. It was also known as ‘Ukrainian Secondary School’ for having classes in German and Ukrainian language. The school played an important role in the renaissance of the Ukrainian language and literature. But also the most important Chernivtsi born poet of German language went to this school: Paul Celan. Today the building is home to the gymnasium number five. Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Staatsgymnasium, secondary school
Category:
Gymnasia
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon