img

Philharmonic Square

Images

ID:
1605
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1904
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Description
The square then called Mehlplatz (Flour square) was renamed Rudolfsplatz in 1880 after Archduke Rudolf, the heir to the Habsburg throne. The reason for this step might have been that the new Philharmonic building which was erected here in 1876 somehow required a more prestigeous name for the square... As a matter of fact the square remained what it always was: a market place, even after the fancy Hotel Bristol was opened here in 1906. Only in 2004 the stands of the then covered market (built in 1937) were pulled down, and the current Philharmonic Square was refurbished with an enormous fountain in its center. From 1780 to 1819 the first prison stood on this square which got its current size only after an old gunpowder warehouse was pulled down in 1866. The postcard shows the market and the building on the corner with Stefaniegasse (now Gorkiy Street) which used to be one of the oldest hotels in Chernivtsi: Zum Goldenen Adler.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz, market, people
Category:
Markets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon