img

Orthodox Church

Images

ID:
2487
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1939-1944
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
120х170 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The Russische Gasse (Str. Romana, vul. Ruska) has nothing to do with Russia but was the way Austrian officials referred to the Ruthenians or Ukrainians in the 19th c. The street, built from 1815 on, is one of very few which kept its historic name until today. It is one of the longest streets in Chernivtsi.
Just a few blocks behind the Greek Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas has been built in 1939. With its characteristic twisted towers, it is the most important religious building built in the time between the wars. It was working throughout the Soviet period and serves the Romanian community of Chernivtsi as prayer house until today. The photo was most likely taken from Metzgergasse (Str.Cogalniceanu, vul. Markovetskogo).
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Church
Category:
Streets