The photo was taken from the Town Hall and shows the northern section of the Ringplatz (Piata Unirii, Central Square). In the center of the photo the statue of the Pieta can be seen It was erected in 1827 and removed in 1923.
The houses on the northern side of the Ringplatz were all one storie and belonged to the “first generation” of stone buildings, dating back to the first half of the 19th c.
The houses to the left had shops on the ground floor (among them the studio of the famous photographer Leon König) and were destroyed during the Second World War. They have never been replaced by new buildings.
The building on the right corner was the Hotel Paris. Around 1910 the well known photographer and publisher Sigmund Jäger had his studio and shop in there. The houses remains unchanged until today.
The street leading away from the Ringplatz is the Enzenberg Hauptstrasse (Str. Reg. Ferdinand, Holovna), going downhill to the train station and the river Pruth. Helmut Kusdat