The photo shows the train station in Chernivtsi, built between 1907 and 1909 by architekt Elling in a kind of secessionist style. It was opened in 1910 and replaced the old train station, built in 1866.
The photo has been taken from a hill right opposite of the train station, most likely from a place called Göbels Höhe. It was taken before World War One, during which the building was severely damaged and rebuilt in a more simplyfied way.
Behind the station buiding the tracks with trains and the long warehouses can be seen. In the distance the valley of the river Pruth and an industrial plant, most likely the sugar factory in Zuczka.
In 1866 the railway line between Lemberg (Lviv) and Chernivtsi was opened, connecting the Bukowina with the European railway network. In 1869 it was extended to Suczawa (Suceava) in the southern Bukowina, later to Iasi in Romania.