In 1875 Chernivtsi got its own university. It was named after the emperor “Franz Josephs Universität” and consisted of three faculties for the beginning: a greek orthodox theological, a legal and a philosophical faculty. The driving force behind the project to open a university and its first rector was the deputy and professor of law Konstantin Tomaszczuk. His main arguments towards the authorities in Vienna was the ongoing polonization of the University in Lemberg (Lviv) and the fact that the language of teaching at Czernowitz university should be German. The first academic year started with 191 students, in 1912 the number of students had reached 1129. Although the official language of teaching was German, classes were held in Romanian and Ukrainian as well. The University played an important role for the renaissance of Ukrainian culture and national identity. After the first World War most of the professors left Chernivtsi and the university was turned into a Romanian institution. The postcard shows the original university building in Universitätsgasse (University Street). It was built in 1870 as Lehrerbildungsanstalt (Teachers’ training college) and handed over to the university in 1875. It is still used for university purposes.