img

Theatre Square

Images

ID:
2555
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1910-1914
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Sigmund Jäger, Czernowitz
Description
The postcard shows the Theatre Square in Chernivtsi before the First World War when it was named Elisabethplatz, also known as Fischplatz. The square was first mentioned in 1777 and until the beginning of the 20th c. partly occupied by a military warehouse. It was always used as market square and later named after the Austrian Empress Elizabeth. In 1936 the middle of the square was lowered. The house to the left is the chamber of commerce of the Bukowina (Handelskammer) built 1908-1910. The coffehouse next to it with the outside sitting was called “Kaiser Cafe.”
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Theatre, people
Category:
Squares