img

Medical University Building

Images

ID:
2556
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1936-1944
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Foto Regal, Cernăuţi
Description
The postcard shows the chamber of commerce and insdustry of the Bukowina (Bukowiner Handels- und Gewerbekammer, Camera de Comert si Industria) on Theatre Square (Elisabethplatz, Piata Vasile Alexandri). It was built in 1908 -1910 by the architekt Friedrich Gottesmann in a style close to the Viennese Secession. Its facade is decorated with allegorical figures of commerce and the emblems of various different trades. Today the building is home to the Medical University.
The square was first mentioned in 1777 and until the beginning of the 20th c. occupied by a military warehouse. It was always used as market square and later named after the Austrian Empress Elizabeth. In 1936 the middle of the square was lowered, as it can be seen on the postcard.
The house with the pointed roof on the right side of the postcard was built in the 1920s as home for the Jewish educational, social and cultural organization “Morgenroit”, later also known as movie house “Skala” and used unti the second World War also by the Jewish Theatre and the Jewish Socialist movement “Bund”.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Chamber of Commerce, Squares
Category:
Administrative Buildings
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon