img

Pictures of Chernivtsi

Images

ID:
2564
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1900-1904
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Romuald Schally, Czernowitz
Description
The postcards shows four pictures of Chernivtsi: the orthodox Paraskeva Church (Paraskiva Kirche) on the Main Street, the first orthodox Church in Chernivtsi built of stone from 1844 to 1862; the seat of the Government of the Bukowina (k.k. Landes-Regierungsgebäude) built in 1871-73 on Austria Platz, todays Soborna Square. The photo shows the building as it looked like before a fire destroyed the roof and one more floor was added in 1905. The monument in the middle of the postcard shows the Deputy to the Austrian parliament in Vienna (Reichratsabgeordneten) Konstantin Tomaszczuk (1840–1889). In 1875 the Franz-Josephs-Universität was opened and Tomaszczuk became its first rector. The monument was set up in the people's park (Volksgarten) in October 1897 and removed after the Second World War. It was made by the Viennese sculptor Anton Brenak and the architect Julius Bochner. The military barracks named after Fieldmarshal Archduke Albrecht (Albrechts Kaserne) was built in 1884 on the Main Street (Siebenbürger Strasse) opposite of the people's park (Volksgarten). It was one of six military barracks in town and home to the only regiment which was completely stationed in the Bukowina (Hausregiment) the infantry regiment Nr 41.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Church, Military Barracks, Administrative Buildings
Category:
Architectural views
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon