img

Central Square

Images

ID:
2437
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1890-1897
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
80х110 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
The photo shows the northern section of the Ringplatz (Piata Unirii, Central Square) and the junction with Enzenberg Hauptstrasse (Str. Reg.Ferdinand, Holovna). Down the street, the tower of the Roman Catholic church can be seen.
The houses on the northern side of the Ringplatz were all one storied and belonged to the “first generation” of stone buildings, dating back to the first half of the 19th c.
The houses to the left had shops on the ground floor (among them the studio of the famous photographer Leon König) and were destroyed during the Second World War. They have never been replaced by new buildings. The building on the right corner was the Hotel Paris. The hous remains unchanged until today. As the photo does not show tram tracks, it must have been taken beforen 1897.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Ringplatz, People
Category:
Squares
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon