The Hotel was built in 1900 following a project by the construction company of architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer
of Vienna on the site formerly taken by an earlier hotel Russie, which
was constructed by George Hoffman. The opening ceremony took place on
January 8, 1901. The project was realized by the construction company of
Ivan Levynskyi and Józef Cybulski of Lviv. The hotel stands at the
intersection of what are today known as Liberty and Shevchenko Avenues.
The building’s façade displays a bas-relief of St. George the
Dragon-slayer by Antoni Popel and allegorical sculpures symbolizing
Asia, Africa, Europe, and America by Leonardo Marconi.