img

Military Institute

Images

ID:
541
Place
Lviv
Date:
1905-1910
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Copyright
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Publisher
Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Description
The photograph depicts the entrance to the Infantry Cadets School, which at the time of the photograph having been taken was at the intersection of Stryiska and Kadetska (now Hvardiiska Streets. The school was surrounded by a strong brick wall visible in the picture. The entrance displayed columns, decorated by military armature to honour the heroic achievements of the Austrian Army. The photograph was taken before October 26, 1905, as can be evidenced from the date of the postmark. The trees in the parklands have grown in comparison with the earlier photographs of 1900-1901, and a mailbox can now be seen on the wall. In the background the Hauptgebäude or main building of the school can be seen, which was built in 1898 following a project by architect Filip Pokutyński, a graduate of the Munich Art Academy.
Mykhailo Slobodianiuk
Tags:
Cadets School, main building, wall, entrance, military men, mailbox
Category:
Military Buildings
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon