Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Students of a Polish school place flowers at the monument of the Polish poet Maria Konopnicka in the Lychakiv cemetery. Maria Konopnicka (1842-1910) was the author of patriotic poetry. Her funeral on October 11, 1910 became a manifestation of popular love and esteem - around 50,000 residents of Lviv were present. M. Konopnicka was interred in the crypt of City President Michal Michalski. The memorial gathering saw speeches by poet Jan Kasprowicz, Diet delegates and public figures like Populist Jakub Bojko and Socialist Jozef Gudec. The idea of erecting a monument to the poet was first voiced by poet Jan Kasprowicz in an article "O pomnik dla M. Konopnickiej" ("On a Monument for M. Konopnicka"), published in the "Kurier Lwowski" newspaper on December 14, 1921. A committee was formed with Kasprowicz at the helm. The monument was erected in 1922, its author was Luna Amelia Drekslerowna (1882-1933), student of French sculptor Antoine Bourdel, and sister to the renowned Lwow engineer Ignacy Dreksler, author of the Greater Lwow project. The Konopnicka monument - a bronze bust atop a granite pedestal - was Drekslerowna's first commissioned cemetery statue. L. Drekslerowna's oeuvre encompasses around 200 sculptures and several dozen paintings. In the years of the Second World War, the monument was destroyed or stolen. In 1950-1956, Lviv-based sculptor Volodymyr Skolozdra sculpted a copy of the original monument, based on photographic documentation.
Lychakiv cemetery, trees, Maria Konopnicka monument, pioneers, flowers