img

Panorama of the City

Images

ID:
1482
Place
Buchach
Date:
1920-1939
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Ignacy Niemand
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Z. Byk, Buchach
Description
A panorama of Buchach from the Strypa River that winds at this spot. In the foreground some people are lying on the grass. The main part of the composition is residential buildings. In the background one can see the central part of Buchach with the noticeably pronounced 35 m tower of the City Hall. The City Hall of 1751 was built in the center of the market square in the late Baroque style according to the project by Bernard Meretyn. The outstanding sculptor Johann George Pinzel, who worked with B. Meretyn, made the sculptures of stone and bas-reliefs on the façade. Originally the façade was decorated by sculptures depicting the heroic deeds of Heracles. Some of them were destroyed by the fire of 29 July 1865. Until 1847 a clock was located on the upper level of the four-faceted tower. The City Hall was finished off with a cupola with a lantern and a weathervane that were destroyed in the fire of 1865. The cupola was covered by tinplates and painted red. The outlines of the castle ruins and towers of the Basilian Monastery church are on the left side of the background. The Buchach Castle was constructed in 1580. In the middle of the seventeenth century its owner, Mikolaj Potocki, constructed a new castle for himself and the old castle was abandoned. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the owners of the castle allowed citizens to disassemble the castle walls for a fee to further use them as building materials; this caused irreparable damage. The Basilian Monastery in Buchach is located on the slopes of Fedir Mountain. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. The photograph was made in the atelier of a Buchach photographer named Ignaci Niemand.
Nazar Kis
Tags:
Panorama of Buchach, winding of the river, bridge, Strypa River, people in the foreground
Category:
Panoramas