img

Former Jewish National House

Images

ID:
1558
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1922-1937
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Unknown
Description
Chernivtsi was the ethnically most ‘mixed’ of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. “National” or “People’s Houses” were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Jewish House on the Theatre Square was opened in 1908. Untill the Second World War it was the center of Jewish life in Chernivtsi and home to various Jewish associations and organisations. The Soviets used the building as a cultural house for workers of the textile industry. After 1990, the jewish community got back a few rooms in the house and in 2008 a small Jewish museum was opened on the ground floor. The empty space next to the Jewish House – the dome of the Jewish Temple can be seen in the background – was used for a milk hall  (”Milchhalle”) or as skating place in winter until 1937, when the “Romanian Cultural Palace” was built there. 
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Jewish National House,
Category:
Cultural Buildings
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon