img

Paraskeva Church

Images

ID:
1582
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1930
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Library of the Institute of Ethnology Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Lviv
Copyright
Biblioteka Instytutu Narodoznawstwa, Lwów
Publisher
Leon König, Czernowitz
Description
Greek-Catholic Church of the Holy Paraskeva on the corner of Enzenberg Hauptstrasse and Hormuzakigasse (at the time Strada Regele Ferdinand and Strada Hurmuzachi, today Main Street and Zankovetska). It was the first orthodox Church in Chernivtsi built of stone from 1844 to 1862 on the place of a former wooden church. Architekt Adam Pawlikowski. The church played an important role in the cultural and national awakening of the Ukrainians in Chernivtsi. Turned into a chess club during the Soviet period, it nowadays belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchy.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Church
Category:
Greek-Catholic Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon