img

Crowd on the Market

Images

ID:
2436
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1918-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
120х170 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
The photo shows a market on the Austriaplatz (P. Ghica Voda, Soborna pl.), one of the oldest marketplaces in town where also firewood was traded. Therefor it was originally called Holzplatz. Later is was named Criminalplatz (after the court and jail locted at it) and only in 1875 it got the name Austriaplatz, commemorating 100 years of Austrian rule over the Bukowina.
In the background some low, private homes of the first generation of buildings on the northern side of the square can be seen. They have all been replaced by taller appartment buildings.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Austriaplatz, market
Category:
Markets