img

Streets in Lower Part of Town

Images

ID:
2433
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1890-1894
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
120х160 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
The photo offers a rare view of two little streets in the older parts of Chernivtsi, Wechslergasse (Str. Teliman, vul. Gluhivska) and Tischlergasse (Str. Hasdeu, vul. Lvivska). They were located in the so called Untere Stadt (Lower parts of town), dating back to the times of the Turkish Rule. Here used to be the old Jewish quarter, the names of the streets still indicate the professions of its inhabitants. There was never a Ghetto in Czernowitz (except during the Second World War), Jews could always settle all over the city. The Untere Stadt, however, remained the living quater for the poor and more religious members of the Jewish community.
In the back the dome and towers of the Greek-Orthodox Paraskewa can be seen. The photo seems to have been taken before the sewerage system was built in 1894.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Streets, Orhodox Church
Category:
Streets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon