img

Former Hotel zum Schwarzer Adler

Images

ID:
2473
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1905-1910
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
170х70 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
On its left side this photo shows the Hotel zum Schwarzer Adler (Under the Black Eagle), the best hotel in town during the times of the Austrian rule. It was located on the corner of the Ringplatz (Piata Unirii, Red Square, Central Square) and Tempelgasse (Strada Duca, University Street). It already existed in 1875, when the opening festivities of the new university were held in its halls. During the Soviet times the hotel was called Werchowyna. It was closed down in 1999 and is used by a university today.
In the background the dome of the Temple can be seen. It was built in 1877 and destroyed during the Romanian-German invasion in 1941.
The low corner building opposite of the Hotel Schwarzer Adler was the Hotel Zum Goldenen Löwen (Golden Lion), which was replaced by the impressive Haus zum Goldenen Löwen (House Golden Lion) around 1910. The low buildings on the right side were destroyed during the Second World War and have never been rebuilt.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Ringplatz, Hotel Schwarzer Adler, Hotel Zum Goldenen Löwen, Temple
Category:
Hotels