img

Market on Theatre Square

Images

ID:
2435
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1918-1925
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
110х140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unpublished resources
Description
The photo shows a market on Theatre Square. The house in the background is the the Jewish National House, opened in 1908. Untill the Second World War it was the center of Jewish life in Chernivtsi and home to various Jewish associations and organisations. The Soviets used the building as a cultural house for workers of the textile industry. After 1990, the jewish community got back a few rooms in the house and in 2008 a small Jewish museum was opened on the ground floor. The empty space next to the Jewish House was used for little shops, a Milchhalle (milk hall) and as skating place in winter until 1937, when the “Romanian Cultural Palace” was built there.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Theatre Square, Jewish House
Category:
Markets