img

Former Jewish Market

Images

ID:
2475
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1905-1914
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
85х110 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The photo shows the market on a square then called Alter Markt (Old Market). It was on the corner of Judengasse (Str. Evreiasca, vul. Scholom Alejchema) and Springbrunnengasse (Str. Creanga, vul. Sahaisdchnogo). Around 1907 the square was renamed Herzl Platz after Theodor Herzl, the founder of the zionist movement.
Because of its location in the heart of the lower parts of town, which were predominantly inhabited by mostly poor jewish families, the market was also called Jüdischer Markt (Jewish Market).
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czеrnowitz, Market, streets,
Category:
Markets
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon