img

Wooden Orthodox Church

Images

ID:
2486
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1905-1914
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
120х160 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
Before the Austrian occupation of the Bukovina in 1775 there have been a number of wooden churches. Only two of them survived to this day. One is the church of St. Nicholas in Morariu Gasse (Str. Gen. Averescu, vul. Sahaidachno) go which makes it also the only building downtown Chernivtsi dating back to the Ottoman period. It was built in 1748 out of oak wood and without a dome or tower. There is a seperate stone constrution for the bells. The church was severely damaged in a fire in 1992 and has been reconstructued.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Church
Category:
Orthodox Churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon