img

Former Great Synagogue

Images

ID:
2480
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1920-1939
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
110х160 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The photo shows the so called Große Synagoge, the big synagogue in Synagogengasse (Str. Wilson, vul. Barbusa). Finished in 1853, it was one of around 70 synagogues and prayer houses in Chernivtsi before the Second World War. The Synagogengasse is located in the center of the so called Untere Stadt (lower parts of town), dating back to the times of the Turkish Rule. Here used to be the old Jewish quarter. There was never a Ghetto in Czernowitz (except during the Second World War), Jews could always settle all over the city. The Untere Stadt, however, remained the living quater for the poor and more religious members of the Jewish community.
After the big reformed Temple was completed in the city center in 1877, this synagogue was used by the orthodox community. However, sevices were held in German language. From 1853 till 1893 the orthodox chief Rabbi Eliezer Igel worked here. The building was used as a warehouse and factory after the Second World War.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Synogogue
Category:
Synagogues
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon