img

Former Protestant Church

Images

ID:
2414
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1900-1914
Technique:
Photograph (printed on paper)
Size of the resource:
80х90 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Unknown
Description
The photo shows the church of the Lutheran Protestant community, built in 1849 by the architect J.Engels. Ethnically most Protestants in Chernivtsi were colonists from German lands who settled in the Bukowina after the annexation by Austria in 1775. The first protestant Pastor arrived in Chernivtsi in 1795. Before the first World War around 5000 German Lutherans were living in Chernivtsi, mainly in the district of Rosch. After the German - Soviet agreement in 1940 around 90.000 Germans were ‘repatriated’ from the Bukowina to Germany, putting an end to the history of the German minority in the Bukowina. The church was used as an archives by the Soviets, the tower does not exist any more. The picture was taken from Althgasse (Str. Cuza Voda, vul. Lesi Ukrainky).
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Czernowitz, Church
Category:
Protestant churches
facebook icon twitter icon email icon telegram icon link icon whatsapp icon