The postcard shows a section of the Siebenbürger Strasse (Str. Stefan cel Mare, vul. Holovna) This street is part of the main North-South axes of the town, originally called Lemberger Strasse. Its the oldest and most important road in the Bukowina, the so called “Reichsstraße” (Imperial Road) coming from Lviv (Lemberg) in the north, going towards the southern Bukowina to Suceava (Suczawa) and from there westwards ascross the Carpathian mountains into Siebenbürgen (Transylvania).
The Siebenbürger Strasse belonged to the more fashionable neighbourhoods in Chernivtsi, as can be seen on the stately private town houses. The third building from the right was an elementary school for boys and girls, founded in 1877. Helmut Kusdat