The photo, taken before 1907, shows Liliengasse (Strada Brancoveanu, Ivan Franko Street) in Chernivtsi.
The building on the left edge of the photo is the Erstes Staatsgymnasium (High School number one), the first Gymnasium in town, founded in 1808. Todays building was finished in 1817. Some of its pupils became famous, like the writers Karl Emil Franzos and Mihai Eminescu.
Next to it the side front of the town hall (finished 1848) and its tower can be seen. The one-storied house next to it was replaced by the so called Zwillingshaus (Twin house) in 1907. Legend has it, that is was built by the Kohn family for twin sisters.
The photo was taken from a then empty plot of land on the corner of Bankgasse and Liliengasse.