The postcard shows the train station in Chernivtsi at the end of World War One, during which the building was severely damaged when the city was twice taken by the Russian army.
It was rebuilt after the war in a slightly simplyfied way.
The station was built between 1907 and 1909 by architekt Elling in a kind of secessionist style. It was opened in 1910 and replaced the old train station, built in 1866.
In 1866 the railway line between Lemberg (Lviv) and Chernivtsi was opened, connecting the Bukowina with the European railway network. In 1869 it was extended to Suczawa (Suceava) in the southern Bukowina, later to Iasi in Romania. Helmut Kusdat