The postcard shows a view of the Volksgarten, the largest and oldest public gardens in Chernivtsi. The park was first designed in 1830 south of the city boundary, along the street connecting Chernivtsi wih the Southern Bukowina (Siebenbürgerstrasse, now vul. Holowna.) The postcard shows the Schützenallee (riflemen’s avenue), the main tree-lined walk of the park, stretching from the north to the south end of the park. The arch in the distance does not exist any more.