The postcard shows the Theatre Square in Chernivtsi after the Second World War. Until the end of the First Second World War it was named Elisabethplatz (also known as Fischplatz), in the period of Romanian rule Piata Vasile Alexandri. The square was first mentioned in 1777 and until the beginning of the 20th c. occupied by a military warehouse. It was always used as market square and later named after the Austrian Empress Elizabeth. In 1936 the middle of the square was lowered. The Theatre on the left side of the photo, designed by the Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer, was opened in 1905. The building of the Jewish National House (Jüdisches Haus) center right, was built by the Jewish Community in 1908 and used until the Second World Wear. The Soviets turned it into a “cultural center for the working class”. After the independence of the Ukraine a few rooms were given back to the small Jewish community, in 2008 a Jewish Museum opened on the ground floor.
On the right side of the photo a small part of the Romanian “Palace of Culture” can be seen, built in 1937 in a modernist style.