img

View of the Theatre Square

Images

ID:
2554
Place
Chernivtsi
Date:
1922-1936
Technique:
Postcard
Size of the resource:
90x140 mm
Creator
Unknown
Collection
Helmut Kusdat
Copyright
Helmut Kusdat
Publisher
Agentia Romana Hachette, Bucuresti
Description
The postcard shows an areal view of the Theatre Square in Chernivtsi in the time between the wars. Until the end of the First Second World War it was named Elisabethplatz, also known as Fischplatz. The photo was most likely taken from the tower of the town hall.
The roofs on the bottom of the photo belong to the high school “Aron Pumnul”, founded in 1808 as “Erstes Staatsgymnasium”. The house on the squre left of the theatre is the chamber of commerce of the Bukowina (Handelskammer) built 1908-1910 and right of the theatre the building of the Jewish National House (Jüdisches Haus) can be seen. On the place next to it, still occupied by small houses, the Romanan Palce of Culture was to be built in 1937. The houses in the distance belog to the suburb of Rosch.
Helmut Kusdat
Tags:
Cernăuţi, Theatre Square
Category:
Aerial views